WordPress is the platform used by millions globally to set up websites for business use, personal use and online shops. In fact 27% of all websites online in 2018 use WordPress (Whoishostingthis.com).
The domination of WordPress continues because of the ease of use, how quickly you can be up and running with your business and its many themes and designs that are available. It’s flexibility makes it the first choice CMS for many.
However, while this is all true, you still need to be able to properly optimise your search engine rankings. WordPress is an SEO friendly platform, which means that you can get a number of options to improve your SEO and increase your website visibility.
One of the most sustainable ways that you can direct traffic to your website, is with SEO – Search Engine Optimisation. This doesn’t mean that you have to suddenly become a WordPress SEO expert overnight, it simply means that you need to learn how to equip yourself with the right SEO tools.
One such tool for those who start a WordPress website is a useful plugin called WordPress SEO by Yoast. It’s one of the most popular SEO plugins for WordPress that is currently on the market today. You can do almost anything that an SEO expert could do with this plugin alone, and while that can overwhelm a newbie to the WordPress SEO market, it doesn’t mean you can’t learn to get to grips with it using some of the basic features straight away.
How SEO Your WordPress Website
Alongside plugins like Yoast, you need to figure out a solid SEO strategy for your website. If you don’t your competition is going to clean up. Believe me, I’ve seen it happen many times.
You want as many visitors finding your website as possible, and there are a few strategies that you could consider to improve the SEO of your WordPress site.
The assumption is that you are busy, which means you need to know how to improve things with as little input as possible.
Here are a few of the ways that you can improve your WordPress SEO:
- Choose your WordPress hosting provider carefully, because a good host can help to push you to the top of the SERPs. (Follow our affiliate link to claim your discount code for WP Engine Hosting)
- Choose an SEO optimised theme. It’s one of the most important choices you’ll make for your website, and if the appearance and layout of your site can improve your SEO, then you should do it. Clean code can give your site the best chance at getting those clicks.
- Use the Yoast plugin. Plugins are small pieces of software that you can install to add functionality to your site and Yoast is one of the best around.
- Connect Google Search Console to your website and check for any broken links.
Why Content Matters
Alongside the help of a trusty plugin for your website, you need to consider the content that you are putting out there for the world to see.
Good content is what will set your website apart from the thousands of competitors who are competing online. When it comes to your success, content is key.
The words you write are going to win over customers.
It’s great to have a pretty website with a good design, but if the words aren’t working, you won’t be converting the traffic you get to sales.
Relevant content that is rich in keywords is what gets the attention of the searchers. You will need to consider how you layout your content as well as your calls-to-action in order to attract a conversion opportunity.
Tag-lines need to deliver value and your readers should feel happy and excited about what they see. Engagement and targeting your audience is the way to persuade people to take action, and you can do this with rich, relevant content.
Combining this content with an effective SEO strategy is the way to win online.
SEO: Basic Requirements for WordPress
When you combine your content with SEO, you have a successful match, but there are still some technical basics that you need to consider within your content to maximise your SEO strategy.
The oldest website will still show highly in the rankings if the content is geared correctly, so with that in mind, here are a few of the SEO basics you need to know:
- Meta Title tags: To improve the results of the page, your Meta title tag should be no longer than 70 characters and it should be unique.
- Meta-description: This is designed to be a summary of the page for search engines. Usually it’s 150 characters in length and it’s what people see as a summary when they search for you. This will help achieve more clicks from Google.
- URLs: Search engines crawl pages for relevant information, and a readable URL is key for this to show up on search results.